Friday, November 18, 2011

The new day dawns, and I'm practicing my purpose once again.

So here's my in-between week. Last week, big seminar. This week, home. Next week, big seminar. I'm leaving again Saturday for UB to be the Health trainer for IST (remember last year I brought Altansuvd?), and THANKSGIVING! I'm excited that next year I'll be with my family, but Thanksgiving here isn't a poor substitute. This will be the last time before COS (close of service) conference that we're all together, so we gotta make it count!

Long photo post! Whoops.

So last week, I traveled the most west I've been in Mongolia so far- to Erdenet. I've been preparing nursing skill presentations for Laura (a fellow M21) and Gracie (a new M22 healthie). I first had a stop in Ulaan Tolgoi (literally: red head) at Laura's soum and did a two day training for the hospital there:


Laura has the CUTEST most well behaved cat I've ever met. And BIG EYES! 
Practicing positioning with Gracie as my patient!
Laura (on the left), Gracie and I with the hospital employees. (Gracie's CP, Doogie, is the one with the black dress in the back- she was my amazing translator the whole week)
I had to take a picture of this. It just says "School". The school is named "School".
We're cold! 
Sunset in Ulaan Tolgoi.

Next it was onto Erdenet! Three days of nursing skill seminars. Tiring, but it was well worth it. We covered everything from nursing ethics to constipation. The nurses were really receptive and we had some awesome discussions. It was also really nice to see the M21s I've missed (Katie, Ryan and Ali!):

And it begins! There were over 60 nurses there. Dang.
View if you were sitting in the back.
SKIN LAYERS WHAT UP
I sometimes drifted to the back to speak just to make sure people were paying attention.
Oh yeah, we had dinner! Here's Ryan and Katie shelling the shrimp.
LETTUCE.
Finished result- salad (with "feta") and shrimp pasta and garlic bread (not pictured). Mmm.
YUMM.
Gracie poured a whole bottle of something on her computer, now the backlight doesn't work. Hilarity ensues whenever she wants to do anything on her computer.
BUNNY HUGZ
Ok, ok, back to the seminar. This woman speaking is the head of nursing in Erdenet, and is best friends with Tuya and Saraa (from the health department). Small country, eh?
The ER doc showed us all how NOT to transfer a patient (Gracie). Owch. 
Two person lift from a wheelchair. Not too bad!
You can see how nervous I am. We're practicing patient falls. This is pretty much how it ended up in my hospital, too.

Alright, I'll stop killing your bandwidth with my pictures.

OH WAIT HERE'S A NICE ONE:

Pull the Turnip!
Children's English play... comp...compet.... competition (gaaaahhhh)
But this one was cute. (And it won)

No comments:

Post a Comment